Friday, August 29, 2008

Hurricane Gustav: Evacuation Woes

I really, really hate hurricanes.

After Rita nearly wiped out our community though (other surrounding areas weren't so lucky), I don't take them quite as lightly as I had in years past. Now, with Gustav bearing down on the Gulf of Mexico, and a potential projected path into my back yard... It looks as if though I'll be packing my stuff, grabbing the kiddo and the kitty, and making my way north yet again.

The good side of this - because there's already enough bad - is that I will get to spend some much needed time with my family in Longview, Texas.

For now though.. it's a wait and see situation. Word is, State officials in Texas have passed down orders to start turning off Water, Gas, and Electric utilities IF they call for a mandatory evacuation. I'd like to know what the hell people are going to do if they are the ones that HAVE to stay (police, medical, etc.) They say it is to nip a lot of problems in the bud, but seems like they are simply freaking out a bit early.

No comments: